Sunday, January 15, 2006

Aftermath of Christmas and New Years

Well, Christmas and New Years are over. All of the memories of 2005 are created and can never be changed. Each of my projects brings back the memories stored while I was working on them. When psychologists talk about memories, they say that odors bring back our strongest memories, but for me, it is my handwork. I have a crewel mirror I made when my son was a toddler. He's 38 now, but when I look at the picture, I see two little areas at the very top that I forgot to stitch because he managed to disappear while I and 7 friends were watching him. He was a little Houdini and he could disappear right before our eyes. I was checking the embroidery for errors or undone areas and I put it down to go and corral him. When I picked it back up I thought I had finished checking it and didn't catch the omission for about 10 years. Looking at the mirror brings back memories of a little blond head ducking around the corner of the townhouses.

After Christmas shopping was great as far as my samplers went. Mom & I went to Richmond, Fredericksburg and Williamsburg. Of course, we went to yarn shops and cross stitch shops. I went in one for some linen for my Christmas Sampler and on the sale table were back copies of "Fine Lines." If you are not familiar with it, it is a historical sampler guild. They were 75% off and I got 7, all they had. What a wonderful surprise! I took the magazine for several years, but then stopped when I started a couple of knitting magazines. These cover almost all the issues I've missed at a fraction of their cost. Now I just have to see if I can get the 2 or 3 between the time I quit and when these issues pick up. I really miss the magazine, but I'm downsizing and space is becoming a problem. Fortunately, they are small and don't take up much space.

No comments: